Who We Are:
Minnesota Public Radio (MPR) is one of the nation's premier public radio stations producing programming for radio, digital and live audiences and operates a 46-station radio network serving nearly all of Minnesota and parts of surrounding states. Reaching 1 million listeners each week, MPR and its three regional services 'MPR News, Classical MPR and The Current 'produce programming for radio, digital and live audiences.
American Public Media is the largest station-based public radio organization in the U.S., combining multi-regional station operations, national content creation and distribution in one organization. With a portfolio that includes Live from Here with Chris Thile, BBC World Service, Marketplace and the leading classical music programming in the nation, APM is one of the largest producers of public radio programming in the world. One thousand stations carry American Public Media's 20-plus national programs. Its multi-regional station operations include 49 public radio stations and 42 translators in the Upper Midwest and California.
This new half-time position is part of the American Public Media classical digital team, but will be focused entirely on the social-media portfolio for Performance Today -- the nation's top classical program, produced by APM with the digital production necessary to support that objective. In this role you will report directly to the Senior Digital Producer, Classical, but will be accountable to and receive direction from Performance Today stakeholders, too.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Position Duration: Temporary - 1 year
- Creates daily posts for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social media to promote Performance Today.
- Grows number of PT followers on social media.
- Works closely with the host of Performance Today, as well as artists and PT staff, to create compelling social media content, including original videos and photos, that reflects the personality of the host and program.
- Curates, edits and publishes content for the weekly Performance Today newsletter to support and expand upon social media initiatives and PT episodes.
- Helps coordinate acquisition of content, images and permissions from performers and publishers, including crossposting videos on Facebook.
- Helps to establish workflow and production routines, especially as they relate to social media.
- Supports online production through research, writing, and editing.
- Posts audio, video, photos and collects other assets for multimedia elements.
- Identifies and reports production problems and assists with solutions.
- Checks work for accuracy, browser and platform compatibility.
- Edits, proofreads, and writes incidental copy as necessary or assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
- 3 years of relevant work experience in writing features and producing various forms of digital content.
- Experience in social media production.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Excellent language skills, including writing and proofreading; fluent computer skills.
- Aware of web and social media best practices.
- Strong editorial judgment and attention to detail.
- Experience with shooting photos and videos.
- Ability to work efficiently with limited direct supervision.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with colleagues in multiple departments/divisions.
- Ability to work with changing deadlines and in a fast-paced environment.
- Energetic and motivated to serve on-air and online audiences.
- Demonstrated research skills in a professional capacity.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Strong interest in classical music.
- Website production.
- Proven social media footprint, with examples of compelling content.
- Proven track record of growing audiences on social media.
- Experience with photo editing and video post-production.
- Ability to write compelling posts and incidental copy.
Reporting to This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.