Who We Are:
Minnesota Public Radio (MPR) is one of the nation's premier public radio stations producing programming for radio, digital and live audiences and operates a 46-station radio network serving nearly all of Minnesota and parts of surrounding states. Reaching 1 million listeners each week, MPR and its three regional services 'MPR News, Classical MPR and The Current 'produce programming for radio, digital and live audiences.
American Public Media is the largest station-based public radio organization in the U.S., combining multi-regional station operations, national content creation and distribution in one organization. With a portfolio that includes Live from Here with Chris Thile, BBC World Service, Marketplace and the leading classical music programming in the nation, APM is one of the largest producers of public radio programming in the world. One thousand stations carry American Public Media's 20-plus national programs. Its multi-regional station operations include 49 public radio stations and 42 translators in the Upper Midwest and California.
This new position is part of the classical digital team, with a focus on our educational outreach efforts. On average, the work will be divided evenly between general and education duties, but these will vary depending on the workload. In this role you will report directly to the Senior Digital Producer, Classical, but will be accountable to education stakeholders, too.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Position Duration: Temporary - 1 year
- Curates, edits and publishes content for the weekly Next Gen newsletter.
- Publishes web features and produces digital content for Class Notes Artists, Minnesota Varsity, Classical 15 and other Classical MPR educational products.
- Selects photos and videos for stories and social media posts.
- Helps coordinate acquisition of content, images and permissions from performers and publishers.
- Develops and plans for unique digital content that enhances and augments our various music services and products.
- Helps to establish workflow and production routines.
- Supports online production through research, writing, and editing.
- Posts audio, video, photos and collects other assets for multimedia elements.
- Identifies and reports production problems and assists with solutions.
- Checks work for accuracy, browser and platform compatibility.
- Edits, proofreads, and writes incidental copy as necessary or assigned.
- Contributes to other daily and weekly newsletters.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
- 5 years of relevant work experience in writing features and producing various forms of digital content.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Excellent language skills, including writing and proofreading; fluent computer skills.
- Aware of web and social media best practices.
- Strong editorial judgment and attention to detail.
- Ability to work efficiently with limited direct supervision.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with colleagues in multiple departments/divisions.
- Ability to work with changing deadlines and in a fast-paced environment.
- Energetic and motivated to serve on-air and online audiences.
- Demonstrated research skills in a professional capacity.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and frequently without direct supervision.
- Demonstrated fluency with standard content management systems (proprietary, WordPress, Drupal, or equiv.)
- Demonstrated fluency in HTML, Adobe Photoshop (or equiv.), Microsoft Office (or equiv.), Google Apps (maps, spreadsheets, fusion tables or equiv.).
- Superior writing and editing abilities in a news environment, along with a thorough grounding in AP style and principles of SEO and SMO.
- Demonstrated and effective presence on social media including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and desktop apps (HootSuite or equiv.)
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Strong interest in classical music.
- Website production
- Ability to write compelling stories and incidental copy.
- Interest in social networking and emerging digital trends.
- Understanding of semantic HTML markup and accessibility standards.
Reporting to This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.