The Broadcast Media Center KUFM invites applications for the Flathead Valley Reporter (Media Programmer). This position is under the supervision of the Montana Public Radio (MTPR) News Director, and will work in coordination with MTPR headquarters in Missoula and MTPR’s Helena bureau. This position must uphold public radio journalism standards and practices and be able to operate digital audio field equipment and cameras, digital audio editing software, and internet content delivery platforms; research, generate and pitch news coverage ideas and be responsible for all aspects of news gathering and production.
This position is responsible for filing radio spots and features and generating web content, primarily from Lake and Flathead counties; adhering to highest journalism standards and practices; performing daily news research using the internet, newspapers and other news sources; and pitching news coverage ideas to MTPR’s News Director. This position will arrange and conduct interviews; log, and edit audio and write scripts; create final audio mixes; and upload audio, video, and text content to our website, podcasting platforms and social media platforms.
This position also offers opportunities to file from Glacier National Park and two Indian Reservations, produce podcast content and pursue professional development opportunities. May be required to represent MTPR at professional and public events.
- Comprehensive knowledge of journalism standards of balance, fairness and fact checking.
- Comprehensive knowledge of recording, microphones, camera and other video equipment.
- Excellent communication, writing, interviewing and editing skills.
- Ability to work independently within assigned parameters.
- Comprehensive knowledge of language and pronunciation of names and words.
- Ability to perform under deadline pressure.
- Ability to adapt quickly and professionally when breaking news interrupts the daily routine.
- Comprehensive knowledge of web content management systems and protocols.
- Knowledge of capabilities and methods of interactive social media.
- Ability to edit audio and use web-based social media platforms.
- Demonstrated ability in gathering and reporting radio news.
Minimum Required Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, political science or related fields and at least two (2) years of experience in a reporting role, preferably in public radio or television or an equivalent combination of education and experience.