Nevada Public Radio
Las Vegas, NV
Nevada Public Radio is seeking a creative, energetic, and entrepreneurial development professional to drive expansion of major donor revenue and provide strategic philanthropic leadership. The Director of Major Gifts possesses a well-rounded set of competencies and will be a skilled and effective communicator, results- oriented professional, hands-on manager, and an enthusiastic, visible community ambassador for a statewide public media organization.
The Director of Major Gifts is responsible for all activities that cultivate and steward major gifts to Nevada Public Radio, which include annual membership revenue, the current Capital Campaign (Give Voice), grant opportunities and planned giving. Working with an energetic and seasoned team, the Director of Major Gifts, in cooperation with the Director of Membership and Special Events and the Corporate Support Manager, is responsible for generating revenue from major donors (annual giving of $1,000 and above) to ensure the organization is able to serve its mission and meet its financial obligations. The Director of Major Gifts works with the Donor Relations Manager, Director of Membership and Special Events, NVPR Board members, senior management, staff members, and volunteers to deliver revenue to meet the annual financial needs of the organization and ensure continued growth of a cherished community institution.
This position reports to the President + CEO. The successful candidate in this position believes in the mission, power and potential of public media and will thrive in an environment where curious, creative people do meaningful work.
Duties and Essential Job Functions:
- With the support of the Donor Relations Manager, primarily responsible for directing and innovating initiatives to generate a minimum of $1M+ in annual operating revenue from major donors, grants and planned giving.
- Directs and supervises the Donor Relations Manager to meet annual revenue goals and cultivate and maintain relationships with major donors and grant funders.
- Works with Director of Membership and Special Events, Corporate Support Manager and Business Manager to develop an annual budget plan to meet and exceed the revenue goals of the organization; responsible for managing expense and making budget-conscious decisions and assessing cost/benefit ratios.
- Manages the identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of existing and prospective individual, business, foundation and other major donors and grant funders; cultivates donor relationships with a “high touch” approach via person meetings, custom events, sophisticated verbal and written correspondence and prominent community visibility; works collaboratively with Director of Membership and Special Events, Corporate Support Manager and marketing functions to maximize revenue and steward shared donors and corporate supporters.
- Maintains a personal portfolio of current and prospective major donors, minimum of 75.
- Identifies and executes fundraising efforts to increase operating reserves and endowment resources. Initial focus will be to complete the Give Voice Major Gift initiative before the end of 2020.
- Generates challenge grant funds, with support from Donor Relations Manager, to leverage membership-level gifts for on-air and off-air membership campaigns. Serves as support and participant in bi-annual on-air membership campaigns.
- Develops and submits grant proposals to foundations, corporations and government agencies; serves as the key driver in identifying new grant opportunities that further the strategic goals and overall mission of Nevada Public Radio.
- Informs donors and prospects of NVPR’s needs now and into the future and encourages ultimate gifts as well as contributions through planned giving such as bequests, trusts, donations of land or other real property, charitable gift annuities, and other planned giving vehicles.
- Nevada Public Radio will celebrate 40 years of service in 2020. The Director of Major Gifts will be closely involved in planning and leveraging commemorative events as revenue opportunities.
- Prepares monthly close reports on progress of fundraising initiatives for Business Manager and President + CEO and prepares and presents Major Gifts report for Board of Director’s meetings; prepares ad hoc reporting as directed by the Business Manager and President + CEO.
- In cooperation with the Director of Membership and Special Events and the Corporate Support Manager, supports the Board of Director’s Fundraising Committee by scheduling meetings, preparing agendas and cultivating Board-level involvement in major donor fundraising.
- With the Donor Relations Manager, directly supports the effectiveness of the President + CEO in major gift solicitation.
- Manages the continuing development of fundraising recordkeeping systems, ensuring donor privacy, data accuracy, and timeliness of reporting. Supervises and coordinates activities of staff engaged in maintaining records of contributions and grants. Develops and manages donor acknowledgement and recognition programs.
- Establishes relationships with external resources such as Community Foundations, estate and tax attorneys, grant writers, event planners and philanthropic consultants to meet the goals of the organization.
- Establishes development policies, systems, and procedures, with a special emphasis on ethical standards for soliciting and reporting gifts and for exceeding the expectations of individual, business, foundation and government donors.
- Identifies and evaluates external professional services, training and productivity software needed to support the goals of the department.
- In coordination with the Director of Membership and Special Events, Corporate Support Manager and Marketing Manager, develops printed marketing materials and digital marketing elements to support and enhance fundraising activities.
- Stays current with public media trends in management, fundraising, digital and content by engaging with professional associations and NPR/PRDMC webinars etc.
- Oversees the production and distribution of annual report maintaining a level of transparency and stewardship to the community we serve and the donors who support our efforts.
- Participates in community engagement initiatives and other activities as directed by the President + CEO.
- Serves as a passionate ambassador of Nevada Public Radio and the service it provides to the community.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A high level of commitment and dedication to the mission of Nevada Public Radio and personally invested in its overall success.
- Ability to effectively solicit individuals, businesses and foundations in person, on the phone and via written communication
- Thrives on meeting and exceeding goals and delivering accountability; is accomplished at working with a wide range of people and can lead and inspire Board members, volunteers, colleagues and staff.
- Ability to establish goals that are relevant, realistic and attainable and identify and implement required plans and milestones to achieve specific goals; able to stay on target to complete goals and achieve results regardless of obstacles.
- Ability to initiate and develop relationships in positive ways and is able to successfully work with a wide range of people at varying levels of the organization.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to clearly communicate with others in ways that are clear and considerate; demonstrated ease in relating to a diverse range of people.
- Able to and comfortable with attending social and networking events to represent the organization in a variety of settings.
- Consistently places a high value on donors; objectively listens to, understands and represents donor feedback and anticipates donor needs and develops appropriate solutions; demonstrated ability to meet all promises and commitments made to donors.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with contact management systems, databases, research or other donor relations tools as well as superior skill on the internet and with spreadsheets, donor/relationship software and word processing systems.
- Ability to gather data, compile information, prepare reports and deliver them on time and communicate effectively to President + CEO, Board of Directors, Business Manager and other organizational stakeholders.
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Knowledge and experience in budget preparation and fiscal management.
- Knowledge and experience in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of five (5) years of senior development experience and a successful track record in donor development in an organization with a budget of $7M+. Knowledge/experience in public media is not required but is considered highly valuable.
- Demonstrated success in guiding institutional strategy, soliciting and securing major gifts from individuals, businesses, foundations and government sources is essential.
- Excellent writing and editing skills are required, as well as impactful experience as a public speaker and presenter using standard software such as PowerPoint.
- Exceptional communication skills are required. Must be able to speak clearly and effectively in fluent English with donors, Board of Directors, executive management, peers and staff.
- Knowledge and experience in the use of all components of Microsoft Office as well as experience with the structure and use of fundraising/donor management database systems is required. Experience with Allegiance Fundraising is not required but is considered highly valuable.
- Must have a poised and professional presence including appropriate attire.
- Must have valid and current driver’s license and reliable transportation; must be able to travel for work overnight and on weekends.
- Must be able to work outside the normal business day with expanded hours including early mornings, nights and weekends.
- An existing professional network in Southern Nevada and Reno/Sparks is not required but is highly preferable.
HOW TO APPLY:
Nevada Public Radio is being assisted in this search by Livingston Associates. Inquiries are welcome with Livingston Associates. For consideration, please visit the job posting and apply online at http://liv.jobs/pxyvi.
Deadline: Open until filled
Nevada Public Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Search Assistance by Livingston Associates
Inquiries are welcome with Livingston Associates
Commensurate on experience; full-time, exempt position with excellent benefits package and incentive program.
Applicants considered for this position will be required to submit to a background check.
All Nevada Public Radio employees are asked to sign their understanding of and compliance with our Employee Handbook upon acceptance of an offer of employment. This document covers the benefits available to NVPR employees, our policies and procedures and our commitment to providing a safe, inclusive, non-discriminatory and welcoming work environment.
As stated in the NVPR Employee Handbook, Nevada Public Radio requires attendance by all employees at many station events including, but not limited to, the four weeks throughout the year when on-air fundraising campaigns are held. Vacation requests during these times will not be granted, except under extraordinary circumstances as approved by the CEO.
In addition, upon acceptance of an offer of employment, the successful candidate will be asked to sign in acknowledgement of receiving, reviewing and understanding of the responsibilities and essential functions of the position as stated and the at-will status of the position.