The Director of Audience, Programs and Outreach is the advocate for the interests of the people we serve – via broadcast, digital and social media – and the chief strategist in charge of growing our audiences.
Through careful monitoring of what NCPR offers on all of its platforms, the Director is the quality control manager. Through exploration of public media offerings, the Director selects the best available content from producers outside of the NCPR shop.
The Director develops and implements a strategy for marketing and promoting the station across the region—and works with the development staff, producers and news team to maximize impact of public events.
The Director works closely with the News/Local Content Director and Director of Digital Services to craft and maintain the best possible offerings on all of the station’s platforms. The Director works closely with the Development Director to maximize the growth of audience and fundraising through outreach and marketing activities as well as the station’s regular on-air and online fundraising activities.
• Overall responsibility for managing national content on NCPR broadcast and digital platforms, including broadcast schedule and program changes, and ensuring FCC compliance.
• Coordinate with Director of News & Local Content and Director of Digital Services to ensure highest quality NCPR content on all platforms.
• Serve as station’s content liaison with NPR and other national program sources, negotiating licensing fees, giving program feedback and representing the station at relevant professional conferences.
• Supervise Operations Director to ensure program delivery and help manage on-air announcing team.
• Manage and review audience data and surveys, and reply to listener/user feedback.
• Work with development team on fundraiser planning and execution on broadcast and other platforms; manage on-air fundraising sound, and cooperate and advise on social media, email, etc.
• Advise underwriting manager on credit language, length and related issues for broadcast and digital platforms.
• Lead and develop outreach and marketing strategies to grow audience and increase donor participation.
• Coordinate with Director of Digital Services to understand marketing and audience development opportunities within digital channels.
• Manage outreach events, like The Howl & North Country At Work, leveraging participant engagement to build audience and donor base.
• Assist station manager as needed and function as NCPR’s chief operating officer and public face.
• Supervise coordinator of media sponsorship program.
• Coordinate all aspects of various promotional campaigns and special coverage to build awareness of a range of NCPR content.
• Five years in a public media programming-related managerial position and bachelor’s degree. Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
• Hands-on use of outreach and marketing tools and strategies to grow audience; general public relations best practices
• Familiarity with digital platforms typically used for delivery of public media content, including social media and e-newsletters
• Polished on-air announcer/host
• Audience data analysis expertise
• Proven success at supervising a diverse, creative staff and relating with a diverse community
• Demonstrable high-level public speaking and writing skills
• Strong digital skills including familiarity with audio, graphic design and publishing tools
• Strong organizational skills
You must apply via the St. Lawrence University portal here: https://employment.stlawu.edu/postings/1900