A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. The NPR audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – and our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
The associate producer helps plan, create and edit content for digital platforms, with a particular emphasis on weekend coverage. S/he produces and helps edit digital stories, some of which may be based on content that originates with NPR radio shows and content desks. The associate producer works with desks and shows to help facilitate an understanding of digital best practices and analyzes metrics to better serve the digital audience. S/he engages with the NPR community using social media tools and provides suggestions for treatment of stories on the home page and social channels. The associate producer works a 40-hour week that includes Saturdays and Sundays and may span early mornings, evenings, overnights and holidays.
- Assists with production, writing and editing of blog posts, web stories derived from radio interviews, and original stories from NPR staff and contract talent that will appear on digital platforms.
- Working on deadline and under pressure, writes headlines, teasers and other display copy for incoming stories.
- Helps curate NPR’s home page and social channels. Uses news judgment to determine story play; chooses stories and packages to be displayed on various digital platforms; assists in planning and execution of digital content for daily stories and long-term coverage.
- Helps coordinate with shows, desks, blogs and the Digital News team.
- Identifies, edits and posts photos. Determines need for rights clearances and permissions for acquired material. Acquires and files permissions and clearances.
- Works with appropriate staff to help create multimedia content, including photo galleries.
- Locates appropriate links and other material to enhance web stories and posts.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, or writing-intensive discipline and/or equivalent work experience.
- At least four years of experience in daily journalism (preferably digital or print)
- Must be available to work Saturdays and Sundays
- Demonstrated skills in news writing, editing and headline writing
- Experience managing branded social media accounts, including Facebook and Twitter
- Familiarity with specialty topics such as national, international, science or business news
- Solid, independent news judgment
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure
- Knowledge of Associated Press style
- Understanding of journalistic ethics. Experience maintaining high journalistic ethics and standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness
- Experience with intellectual property issues involved in publications generally and Web publications in particular
- Willingness to learn skills necessary to work on digital platforms, ability to adapt to changes in equipment, software and workflow
- Strong oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and to effectively collaborate with a team
- Ability and willingness to work varied shifts as needed, including early mornings, evenings, overnights and/or holidays
- Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
- Ability and willingness to travel
- Ability to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the SAG-AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer
- Experience with audio production.
- Familiarity with Chartbeat and Google Analytics.
- Experience creating interactive applications.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.