A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. NPR listeners value information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
NPR seeks a customer-service-focused and mission-driven Electronics Engineer to help build its technical support team. The incumbent maintains and repairs NPR’s broadcast technical equipment. S/he also designs, constructs, installs and tests said equipment and assists the Engineering Technology leadership determine Engineering Service’s purchasing requirements.
- Construct, install, test, maintain, repair, and provide technical support for equipment, systems, facilities and audio networks.
- Maintain various documentation and databases.
- In partnership with Engineering Technology leadership, plan projects and/or execute project plans.
- Take ownership of customer issues and follow through to resolution.
- Respond to critical issues on a 24x7x365 basis as required.
- Expand knowledge of and skills in current and emerging audio broadcast equipment, systems and workflow.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Two years college in computer science or electronic engineering required. Four year degree in related field or equivalent experience highly preferred.
- At least two years’ experience in engineering maintenance at a network-level broadcaster, production house, electronic equipment manufacturer or systems integrator.
- Experience in programming, and installation of a multi-console studio, intercom, automation and router based digital audio backbone system.
- Understanding / utilization of IP Based Audio Systems and protocols.
- Ability to utilize test equipment commonly used in broadcast related electronics and computer network servicing
- Experience with computer networking.
- Demonstrated experience providing high level of professional, courteous, and consistent interactions with clients.
- Significant troubleshooting experience at the systems level broadcast and audio production-related equipment, computer hardware, and individual equipment to the component level.
- Ability to read schematics and understand signal flow.
- Ability to use common hand and power tools.
- Demonstrated and proven skills under extreme deadline pressure in broadcast environment.
- Ability and willingness to work rotating shifts as required. This includes weekends, overnights, and holidays.
- Ability and willingness to work overtime as required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of audio, recording and radio production theory and practice.
- Must be able to work independently or with a team.
- Must be able to multi-task and prioritize.
- Hearing and listening skills must insure that NPR’s Audio Quality standards are maintained.
- Must possess broadcast engineering level and broadcast networking certification.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license.
- This is a union position.
- Familiarity with MS Office suite and AutoCAD LT.
- Public Radio experience a plus.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. Please include a cover letter with your application.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.