A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. The NPR audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – and our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
NPR’s Science Desk is launching a brand new daily podcast that tells listeners something they probably didn’t know in a few minutes. We are looking for a curious, talented editor to generate ideas, punch up our audio storytelling and translate science, health and environment news and information into engaging narratives.
This will be short-form, digital-first content that can be found on smart speakers, new audio-on-demand choices in cars or your favorite podcast app. Consider joining a fun, talented, award-winning science team telling stories in new ways on new platforms to reach listeners where they are.
- Establish a new workflow to serve the daily podcast.
- Oversee and edit the daily podcast
- Ensure editorial, production and technical quality of the podcast.
- Run meetings, make assignments and set deadlines.
- Think strategically about audience development and help to execute the strategy.
- Work with reporters primarily on the science desk but also in other areas of the network.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least 7 years of journalism experience as an editor, reporter, producer or nonfiction storyteller
- Ability to meet a tight deadline and balance multiple assignments at once.
- Demonstrated experience working with and managing highly creative, driven, results-oriented professionals.
- Experience maintaining high journalistic ethics and standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
- Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
- Audio editing experience
- Knowledge of science, environment and or health issues.
- Skills in news or feature editing
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
- Reporting experience
- Daily news experience
- Quality-Decision Making
- Critical Thinking Skills
- Problem-Solving Skills
- Attention to Detail
- Results Driven
- Managerial Courage
- Manages Complexity
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Find more career opportunities at NPR.org/careers and on Twitter at @NPRJobs.