A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. The NPR audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – and our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
The Supervising Editor, National Desk will be a key partner to the Senior Supervising Editor and other managers on the desk. This editor will oversee coverage, helping to set the national news agenda for the network. This is a leadership position, in which the editor will have responsibility for coverage across platforms—news magazines, newscast, the web and social media. We are looking for candidates who have a passion for journalism and national news and are excited about storytelling. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
- Serve as an editor and manager helping to run the National Desk
- Work closely with NPR shows, including Morning Edition, All Things Considered, Here & Now and Newscast to coordinate coverage
- Help manage a team of journalists who cover the country and are beat specialists
- Edit stories. Plan and execute daily coverage
- Keep current with topics of interest for the desk and future planning
- Participate in performance evaluations and play a key role in recruiting, training and mentoring
- Make sure the work is consistently accurate and fair, objective and of high quality
- Guide and help craft in-depth stories and specials for air and online
- Participate in newsroom planning meetings. Advocate on behalf of the National Desk
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education: Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university or equivalent; media or journalism degree preferred
- 8-10 years’ experience as a news reporter or editor, including demonstrated experience covering national news
- A minimum of 5 years’ management experience, with proven success managing a diverse team of employees
- Ability to clearly communicate ideas and skilled collaborator
- An engaged journalist with solid news judgment and driven by the 24-hour news cycle
- Thorough knowledge of news and feature reporting techniques and demonstrated writing ability, across multiple platforms
- Having overseen and demonstrated a collaborative approach to newsgathering and story presentation across platforms, including digital and social
- Considerable skill in both news and feature editing
- Willingness and ability to travel
- Knowledge of broadcast writing and audio production. Digital experience preferred.
- Working in and/or knowledge of public radio and the public radio system is a plus.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Find more career opportunities at NPR.org/careers and on Twitter at @NPRJobs.