ABOUT THE ROLE
You'll work in our newsroom to expand our existing design system, and create beautiful, world-class editorial and product designs. We've worked hard to elevate our design language at PBS NewsHour and you'll help us continue to improve. The Senior UX Designer will have the opportunity to collaborate with our journalists on fascinating editorial projects large and small. Our digital design work has won Emmy, Gracie, and Webby awards. Our growing product team works across platforms and never has a chance to get bored. PBS NewsHour seeks to provide news not noise and our product team works to propel that mission forward.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Design beautiful, smart, engaging web experiences
- Prepare wireframes and concepts
- Propose digital presentations for editorial projects
- Create charts, maps and other daily news presentations
- Create and maintain style guides, and reusable design template
- Collaborate with the broadcast graphics and editorial teams
- Maintain, propose and update features on existing site
- Translate your design in HTML/CSS/SCSS
- Work with designers and engineers to implement and deploy sites
- Perform related special projects or other duties as assigned
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Expert knowledge of responsive web design standards
- Expert with HTML/CSS/SCSS
- Experience with version control systems such as Git
- Understanding of WordPress theme and plugin architecture
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work effectively, both independently and in a team environment
- Excellent organizational, project planning, presentation and time management skills with careful attention to detail
- An interest in journalism and public media
- Preferred experience with: NodeJS or similar technologies; human interface guidelines and best practices on iOS and Android.
- College degree and 5 years' experience desired; or equivalent combination of education and experience
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision insurance
- Generous vacation and paid leave programs
- Generous 403(b) match
- Free parking
- Plus more
PBS NewsHour is a wholly-owned, non-profit subsidiary of WETA. For a full job description or to apply through our online application, please click here to be directed to the careers page at WETA. To confirm that a WETA or PBS NewsHour job posting is under recruitment, please visit our websites for our current job postings list: www.weta.org and www.pbs.org/newshour/.
WETA is an equal employment opportunity employer. WETA does not discriminate against employees or applications on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal law.