Do you love the mission and ingenuity of public radio and podcasting? If so, check out this opening at PRI/PRX in Boston, Massachusetts.
Public radio and podcasting are at a moment of tremendous change and promise. PRI/PRX is at the epicenter of the audio revolution, bridging broadcast, digital and mobile with a portfolio of exceptional programs including PRI’s The World, The Takeaway, Reveal, The Moth Radio Hour, This American Life and the Radiotopia podcast network.
PRI's The World is a leading American journalism franchise covering global issues on public radio, podcasts and online. The World delivers journalism that is consequential, influential and high-profile. Produced by the combined public media innovators, PRI and PRX, in partnership with the BBC World Service and WGBH, The World reaches more than three million listeners across North America each week and 1.5 million on-line. Our newsroom in Boston is a place where passion and curiosity meet global politics and culture. We strive to tell deeply human stories in creative and innovative ways.
The Executive Producer is a creative, flexible, and accomplished leader capable of running a daily, national broadcast program. Leading digital efforts and audience engagement to recognized journalistic success and impact is a marker of success for this role.
The EP is responsible for all aspects of The World: broadcast, digital, strategic, editorial and budget planning, and participates in revenue generation planning with PRI/PRX. If you are someone who can plan strategically and lead a team to carry out that plan to success, then this is the right opportunity for you.
As EP, you will head the leadership team of the program in all its forms and be responsible for its staff and the program’s performance. You’ll work with PRX to identify and partner with key content, distribution, funding and technology providers to develop the broadcast, digital and engagement strategies.
Success is measured by
- Masterful leadership skills with an ability influence and motivate a team and staff to achieve goals. Develop systems and structures for all aspects of the show. Set and hold all staff accountable to high creative and journalistic expectations.
- Developing ambitious vision to lead The World to journalistic excellence and recognition, followed by a plan and timeline for achieving this vision. This plan includes goals for digital, broadcast, engagement, and growth.
The EP is driven by excellence and innovation. They value and believe in the purpose of the show, promoting it within and outside the newsroom while continuously finding ways to improve the show. The EP is an excellent communicator with an ability to successfully navigate conflict and differences across lines of work and lines of difference.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the overall production - broadcast, digital and engagement - of The World making it a key distinctive presence in public media
- Lead and develop the journalistic and stylistic standards, practices and expectations for the staff, contributors and partners
- Responsible for overall fiscal management and reporting on production budget including fundraising efforts as necessary
- Find, recruit, train, retain and assess staff to bring together and unify a broad variety of high performance talents to keep the program competitive and distinctive
- Create and maintain an environment necessary to lead a motivated production, journalism and administrative staff necessary for high quality creation and operations of the program
- Oversee creation and maintenance of technical infrastructure for program production and support
- Develop and maintain reporting mechanisms to inform producing partners of progress
- Develop and maintain relationships with production partner organizations as necessary to support program and podcast marketing and publicity
- Develop and maintain relationships with key business and production partners and grow collaborations within and across the PRX program and talent portfolio
- Develop and maintain relationships within public broadcasting and podcast industry; represent program and network as necessary
- Some travel required
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 10 years of global reporting, editing and/or journalism leadership experience
- Demonstrated ability at successfully managing and leading a daily broadcast and/or podcast production
- Proficiency at leading and directing a creative, journalistic team
- Preferred experience with content on public media
- Excellent knowledge and facility with digital platforms, content, metrics and audience.
- Experience in successfully managing an operating budget, and overall responsibility for meeting and reporting on programmatic, grant-driven and audience goals
- Superb creative audio judgment and a willingness to take risks
- Excellent verbal, written communication and leadership skills
- Confidence and sensitivity to work within different editorial and production structures to effect content collaboration
- Ability to lead and inspire a diverse and global work force
- Experience managing complex corporate relationships
- Knowledge of historical and cultural global trends
- This position is full time and based in Boston
his position is based in Boston. PRX employees are offered health, dental and life insurance benefits, short- and long-term disability, a 401k retirement plan, and paid vacation and parental leave.
Our Commitment To Diversity
We want our team to reflect the wide diversity of our country, and we strongly encourage POC and LGBTQ candidates to apply. We're committed to structuring our hiring process and company to be welcoming to applicants of all backgrounds.
PRX is an equal opportunity employer.