Come work with the award winning WABE news team. This is a professional position serving as a morning edition producer for WABE 90.1FM. This position requires experience in news script writing, audio editing, show timing, guest booking, interviewing and reporting both local and state news in accordance with NPR style. As a morning edition producer, responsibilities include but are not limited to generating news ideas, present enriching stories, and an ability to respond to breaking news. This position is supervised by the host/senior producer.
- Works under the direction of host/senior producer
- Books sources for interviews and edits for broadcast.
- Generates creative programming ideas and gathers audio for show as needed.
- Serves as WABE reporter for local and national news programs, presenting local news reports in a conversational, public radio style.
- Works in cooperation with the news department to compile stories and live, on-air presentation of local content for news programs. This will be a combination of in-studio production, interviewing (some live), coverage of special news assignments as directed, working with technical equipment related to broadcasting, participating in mandatory on-air fundraising.
- Hosting on-air during news programs may be required, and air shifts will vary depending on needs of the station and station management. .
- Works on deadlines and attends planning meetings.
- Participate in all radio fund raising activities and related production.
- Other duties as assigned by Station Management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Experience and Education Requirements
- BA Degree and minimum of three years of applicable experience.
- Demonstrated experience and proven track record in gathering news, anchoring/reporting, writing scripts as well as interviewing and production.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and producing news content (Ability to use desktop editing, studio production equipment, and reporter field kit).
- Must be able to set up and engineer two-way interviews.
- Must be able to quickly make judgments and know how to analyze what is newsworthy.
- Must be proficient in the use and handling of audio compact flash recorders and moving recorded product into automation system
Necessary Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to run an air control board and fill in as host on news shifts when needed.
- Excellent and proven ability to edit in the multi-track mode of Adobe Audition or similar audio edit by software, and able to train others on its use.
- Must develop understanding of NPR’s newsmagazine clocks and how best to utilize local news breaks to ensure local and national sound and quality uniformity.
- Must be able to handle a variety of activities, work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Contributes to fundraising activities as directed by management.
- Exceptional organizational, interpersonal and communication skills are a must in this position.
- Digital reporting experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of the Atlanta area is preferred, but not necessary.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required (up to 5 lbs.), filing documents or store materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
For the most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment. Exposure to outside elements during course of work to be expected to perform essential functions.