The Manager, Social Media develops and oversees social media content and engagement initiatives and contributes to overall social media strategy for all PBS programs to drive exposure, tune-in, awareness and evangelism. The candidate will collaborate with internal cross-functional teams, as well as partner with PBS station and producer social media/digital teams and lead ongoing efforts to experiment and expand into new and emerging platforms.
Additionally, the Manager of Social Media will serve as subject matter expert and lead on social content planning across multiple platforms with a creative approach to effective storytelling within each social platform. The candidate will provide recommendations to teams on asset development, effective copy development and calendarization of both pre-planned and opportunistic/real-time content and engagement.
Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
- Proactively lead social media content planning initiatives for PBS, including social channel prioritization, social asset recommendations (images, video content, stop motion, etc.), master PBS and program specific content plans and roadmaps, copy and messaging development, and reposting initiatives across PBS and partner social channels
- Plan, monitor, strengthen, and maintain presences on PBS’ key social media channels (e.g. Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, Tumblr); seek and lead new opportunities for PBS social media outposts and experimentation.
- In conjunction with social media team, assist with and oversee on-site/event/in-production social media strategies and execution at major events, conferences, meetings, and other public activities.
- Help support real-time social engagement around key programs, news and public affairs initiatives, as well as contribute to daily editorial and content calendar oversight
- Develop company-wide social media efforts and strategies to drive engagement, exposure, tune-in, and fan evangelism, in addition to providing support for all of our priority programs’ social media efforts.
- Review and analyze data (i.e. growth patterns) from PBS’s social media marketing and measurement services; work with social media team to help set goals based on the current data; and use data to formulate strategies that increase engagement and exposure for all of PBS’ social media outlets.
- In conjunction with social media team members, partner with teams throughout PBS to support major social media initiatives. This includes bolstering work supporting social media efforts and experimentation at local stations.
- In conjunction with social media team, lead station support for social media via webinars and workshops.
- Help develop social media guidelines and playbooks to help educate internal stakeholders, partners and stations on best practices
Requirements for success:
- 5-7 years of digital or social media marketing and/or communications experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, Journalism, Marketing, or related field
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Successful track record in managing social media accounts for high-profile organizations
- Experience with business, strategy, and campaign development
- Familiarity with social media design/content best practices
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- In-depth familiarity with online and social media marketing best practices and algorithms, and ability to communicate them to various internal and external audiences
- Ability to remain creative, diplomatic, calm under pressure
- Ability to work collaboratively in a cross-functional department, and to foster communication and collaboration internally and externally
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Ability to take initiative and act proactively
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Women, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities