Public radio 97.9 WHAV FM, the only Haverhill-based new source, seeks a resourceful, motivated and deadline-oriented News Director to bring acclaimed WHAV News to the next level.
The successful candidate will lead and manage the planning, production and presentation of local news on-air and online to a metro area of more than 200,000 people.
- Exercise solid, objective and ethical news judgment
- Develop story ideas, track issues and events
- Interview, write and edit for on-air and online audiences
- Produce and anchor newscasts
- Develop schedules and budgets
- Recruit, hire and train reporters, freelancers, photographers (web) and others, as needed
- Develop and maintain news sources
- Serve as public face of WHAV News in the community
- Participate in securing grant and underwriter funding
- A four-year degree in journalism — or equivalent
- Three years full-time professional experience in journalism — preferably in a multi-platform news environment
- Broad knowledge of local and regional issues
- Adept at determining and focusing on what listeners and readers care most about
- Ability to quickly interpret, write and voice reports on often-complex subjects
- Deal effectively with simultaneous tasks
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Good voice, excellent pronunciation and strong delivery
- Superb grammar, spelling
- AP Style proficiency
- Curious mind
- Professional appearance and demeanor
- Reliable transportation and valid driver’s license
- Computer literate:
- Microsoft Office suite
- Digital audio editing software (Adobe Audition, Audacity)
- Social media platforms (particularly Facebook)
- Adobe Photoshop a plus
- Working knowledge of broadcast equipment
This is a unique opportunity to build a strong resume, grow with an entrepreneurial news operation and work in state-of-the-art facilities. If you believe you can fulfill some duties, but not others, please acknowledge.
WHAV is an equal opportunity employer.
To be considered, email cover letter, resume, audio/video newscast demo, news writing sample (URLs accepted) and compensation requirements to admin@WHAV.net.