Who We Are:
Southern California Public Radio (SCPR) is a member-supported public media network whose mission is to strengthen the civic and cultural bonds that unite Southern California's diverse communities by providing the highest quality news and information service on air at 89.3 KPCC, online at LAist.comand through KPCC In Person. Since our founding in 1999, SCPR has been a fast growing, innovative, multi-platform public service newsroom. Every day, our staff helps audiences catch up on the latest headlines, solve the complexities of life in Southern California, and connect curious communities to one another.
LAist Studios is a new podcast production house from Southern California Public Radio.
The editor edits new and existing podcasts produced by LAist studio staff and contract producers. The successful candidate helps creators highlight the values of LAist Studios show: future-focused, diverse and inclusive, and full of fantastical dreams.
The editor also works closely with the team to review and approve podcast proposals. The candidate assists podcast producers in developing storylines and determining focus for individual episodes and podcast seasons. The editor reviews scripts and rough mixes on both a big picture and a line-by-line basis, ensuring that LAist's podcasts are captivating, innovative and enlightening for audiences.
If work samples are available, please provide link in your cover letter.
- Edit new and existing podcasts and digital content.
- Work with staff and other creative partners to develop new podcast concepts.
- Work with staff to determine which podcasts pitches to approve or acquire.
- Work with producers and digital staff to determine content for web site and social media.
- Collaborate with editorial partners.
- Produce occasional audio pieces for podcasts.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Journalism, English or related field.
- Two years editing or equivalent experience.
- Five or more years of experience, reporting or producing.
- Experience editing podcasts or other audio journalism.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Well-established depth of reporting skills; and an understanding of the need for interpretative reporting on often complex and many-layered issues
- Superior abilities in creating story ideas, writing, editing, producing and reporting
- Superior abilities in structuring stories and delivering high impact narratives.
- Strong leadership skills, including decisiveness, fairness, empathy, and ability to accept feedback and criticism.
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team
- Ability to bring out producers' excellence with firmness and genuine encouragement.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Creative field and studio production skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently.
- Facility with digital audio editing equipment.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Contacts with national producers.
- Experience editing podcasts for national audiences.
Reporting to This Position: none
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.