The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for building relationships with donors and securing major gifts. This position will develop strategies to secure annual operating (over $10,000) and budget alleviating program support at $10,000 - $250,000. This is a position which will spend 50% or more of their time outside of the office, visiting and cultivating prospects in-person. The role will manage a portfolio of approximately 125 donors, is expected to travel during the day (with occasional overnight travel), and maintain a work flow of 3 - 5 out of office appointments per week. Solicitations may also include gala tables/support and planned giving commitments; may also partner with the Membership and Leadership Circle teams on select annual renewals. The position is expected to work closely with donors and prospects and will conduct outreach to qualify new prospects. The Major Gift Officer will work with the Director of Development and Senior Vice President, Development in support of the future SCPR campaign.
- Manage a dedicated portfolio of donors and prospects within moves management.
- Strategically cultivate and solicit donors and prospects with a focus on deepening donor relationships and identifying the best way to connect them with SCPR and funding opportunities.
- Qualify new prospects to ensure the growth of the SCPR donor pool.
- Develop written plans, proposals, reports, and other donor communications.
- Contribute to the expansion of the planned giving program and Legacy Society.
- Document donor contacts in donor management software following established protocols.
- Provide regular updates and reports on prospect management and fundraising results.
- Participate in major donor events locally and throughout southern California.
- Support case development for program funding, and advance the organization’s philanthropic role and profile in the community.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience required.
- 3-5 years of experience and a strong understanding of prospect management, major donor cultivation and solicitation is required.
- Proven track record in securing major and planned gifts.
- Knowledge of planned giving vehicles and ability to identify strong prospects.
- Previous experience working directly with board members, volunteers, and content experts
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Motivated, creative, and organized self-starter.
- Enthusiastic and determined fundraiser with a record of meeting / exceeding revenue targets.
- Able to develop strategic long-term donor relationships while achieving bottom-line results.
- Innovative, flexible, and able to prioritize in a rapidly evolving organization and industry.
- Collaborative and successful at working within a team and across an organization.
- A persuasive and strategic communicator with excellent interpersonal and written / spoken communication skills.
- Strong interest in public media and its case for support.
- Able to participate in donor events, including occasional evenings and weekend, and travel to donor meetings throughout southern California.
- Professional appearance and demeanor, and strong computer skills are required.
- Willingness to embrace the organization’s priorities and style.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Master’s Degree.
- Salesforce and donor database experience a plus.
- Experience in soliciting and securing 7-figure gifts.
Reporting To This Position:
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to travel during the day, with occasional overnight travel required.
- Must have a personal vehicle available for use to call on clients. Mileage reimbursement will be provided.
- Must have a valid, current driver’s license.
- Must have a clean driving record with no DWIs or excessive amount of traffic violations or accidents.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.
Apply on-line at URL: https://americanpublicmedia.applicantpro.com/jobs/1017579.html