This position is responsible for developing and implementing strategies to secure planned gifts, major annual gifts (over $10,000) and program specific gifts ($10,000 - $250,000) and qualify new major donors. This position oversees all strategies designed to grow the planned giving program. As a member of the Major Gifts team, this individual is responsible for developing an annual planned giving plan, securing new Declarations of Intent, administering realized gifts, and maximizing current revenue. The position manages a portfolio of approximately 125 - 150 major and planned giving donors and prospects. More than 50% of time will be spent visiting with and qualifying and cultivating prospects in-person, approximately 3 – 5 out-of-the office appointments per week. The position will work with the Director of Development and the Senior Vice President, Development in support of the future SCPR campaign.
This posting has an application deadline of August 6, 2019 (10pm PST).
- Spend 50 - 75% of time in donor contact, in person, on the phone, or in strategic written proposals and other communications.
- Manage the qualification and moves management process of a portfolio of major donors and prospects to realize gifts for the annual fund and other major giving opportunities.
- Respond to inquiries from planned gift prospects moving them toward declaring their intent or making a pledge.
- Develop an annual planned giving plan which includes marketing and promotion, donor communications, and event/seminars for KPCC supporters and audience members.
- Work with supervisor to coordinate planned giving activities among development and membership staff to ensure that messages are integrated, and fundraising efforts are cooperative.
- Educate, motivate, and support the major gift officers to secure planned gift commitments.
- Work with donor advisers to implement planned giving strategies.
- Stay conversant with the latest estate and gift tax laws.
- Exercise judgment and seek legal counsel regarding future and pending estate gifts.
- Participate in major donor events locally and throughout southern California.
- Participate in case development for initiative funding.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience.
- A minimum of eight years of major and planned giving experience working in an established planned giving program and/or building such a program. Certified Specialist in Planned Giving, preferred.
- Strong understanding of major donor qualification, cultivation and protocol.
- Knowledge of planned giving protocols and experience implementing best practices. Demonstrated success in securing six-figure major and planned gifts.
- Previous experience working directly with board members, volunteers and content experts.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Demonstrated experience in moving individuals through a process from qualification to developing deeper appreciation for the mission of an organization and successfully increasing their giving.
- Persuasive and strategic communicator with excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Current knowledge of planned giving instruments, industry trends, estate planning and tax law strategies.
- Proven track record of successfully meeting metrics for building strong donor relationships leading to qualification of new and upgrading existing supporters.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and work collaboratively and effectively with Development colleagues and with colleagues across the organization.
- Professional appearance and demeanor, and strong computer skills required.
- Ability to participate in donor events, including occasional evenings and weekend, and travel to donor meetings throughout southern California.
- Strong interest in public media and its case for support.
- Willingness to embrace the organization’s priorities and style.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Master’s Degree preferred.
- Salesforce experience is a plus; Veritus Major Giving (or similar) certification also a plus. Experience in soliciting and securing 7-figure major and planned gifts.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.
Apply on-line - https://americanpublicmedia.applicantpro.com/jobs/1103905.html