Founded in 2003 by MacArthur Fellow Dave Isay, StoryCorps has given more than 400,000 people the chance to record interviews about their lives, pass wisdom from one generation to the next, and leave a legacy for the future. StoryCorps shares edited excerpts of these interviews through popular weekly NPR broadcasts, animated shorts, digital platforms, and bestselling books. We do this to remind one another of our shared humanity, to strengthen and build the connections between people, to teach the value of listening, and to weave into the fabric of our culture the understanding that everyone’s story matters.
StoryCorps’ annual institutional portfolio of over $5 million comprises diverse funders, including leading foundations and government agencies who provide large-scale support for our recording booths, journalists, special initiatives, and unrestricted support as well as smaller grants for more bespoke storytelling projects that require significant time and effort to develop and steward. The Associate Manager, Institutional Giving will play a supportive role in maintaining and expanding philanthropic income from private foundations, public agencies, elected officials, as well as major individual donors. The Associate Manager’s responsibilities will include donor prospecting, tracking donor activity in the development database, managing the institutional giving calendar, writing donor reports, and preparing grants.
This person will work collaboratively within a team of six development professionals. The Associate Manager, Institutional Giving reports directly to the Associate Director, Institutional Giving, and works closely with the Director of Development and Institutional Giving.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with Associate Director, Institutional Giving and Director of Development and Institutional Giving to set, track, and meet annual institutional goals
- Maintain the SalesForce database to track activities and deliverables and implement a system for moves management
- Conduct prospect research as assigned and identify new potential donors for StoryCorps and its various initiatives
- Manage institutional grant calendar to meet proposal, report, and related deadlines
- Collaborate with all staff to update and maintain boilerplate files, including information about StoryCorps’ programs, participants, audience, social media and marketing statistics, and other proposal and report content
- Collect information for and draft proposals, reports, letters of inquiry, and other donor correspondence, as assigned
- Organize supplemental documentation (budgets, timelines, images) as needed and requested to support grant proposals, reports, and other donor requests
- Work with program and finance staff to ensure timely reporting on grant deliverables by setting and managing internal reporting schedules and processes
- Work with Associate Director, Institutional Giving to maintain necessary records, files, reports, databases, and resource materials pertinent to grant activities
- Develop and prepare internal reports as needed
- Perform other duties to support the Development department, as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND QUALIFICATIONS
- College degree, or equivalent combination of education and professional experience
- Minimum 2 years experience in development and institutional giving
- Excellent writing skills and experience writing grants and reports with a proven track record of success
- Extraordinary organization skills, multi-tasking ability, attention to detail, and analytical abilities
- Prospect research experience and familiarity with Foundation Center Directory and other online research tools
- Excellent computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office Suite and/or Google programs (G-mail, Google calendar, Google Drive / Docs)
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Donor database experience
- Strong collaborative and teamwork skills as well as the ability to work independently
- Strong time management skills and ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in order to contribute to problem-solving activities within a growing, changing organization
- Cultural competence and the ability to thrive in a diverse work environment
- Development and institutional giving experience in the fields of arts and culture and/or human rights
- Experience with SalesForce donor database
- Experience with SalesForce applications (Brickwork, IATS, etc.)
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your last name and “Associate Manager, Institutional Giving” in the subject line. Include your cover letter and resume as attachments entitled “YourNameLetter” and “YourNameResume.” In your cover letter, please tell us how you found out about this opportunity and whether you have applied for a position at StoryCorps in the past.
StoryCorps seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at StoryCorps are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.