Job Title: Director, Innovation & Special Projects – One Small Step
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Status: Full-Time, Temporary
Reports To: Chief Program Officer
StoryCorps is the acclaimed national nonprofit that preserves and shares humanity’s stories in order to build connections between people and create a more just and compassionate world. Founded in 2003 by MacArthur Fellow Dave Isay, StoryCorps is the largest single collection of human voices ever gathered. To date, we have recorded and archived more than 200,000 interviews with more than 400,000 participants across the country through our interview programs. StoryCorps shares audio and animated excerpts of interviews with the world through popular weekly NPR broadcasts, social media and other digital platforms, educational curricula, and best-selling books. These powerful stories illustrate our shared humanity and show how much more we share in common than divides us.
About One Small Step:
At this moment, our country feels increasingly disconnected and tribal—our mutual distrust amplified by everything from social media to the efforts of forces seeking to weaken the foundations of our democracy. Many Americans feel unheard, alone, and angry.
Over the past 14 years StoryCorps has perfected a simple method for helping people feel more connected and less alone; for increasing hope and decreasing fear of the other; for reminding us all of the inherent worth of every person and every story. Up to this point, almost all of the people who have come to participate in StoryCorps have done so because they know and love one another.
With the One Small Step initiative, StoryCorps will put people on opposite sides of the political divides into a StoryCorps booth. Participants won’t come to argue about politics, but simply to get to know one another as human beings, to take one small step towards each other and remember that people they might have thought they hate are actually human beings.
The Director of Innovation & Special Projects for One Small Step (OSS) will work with executive leadership to scale the initiative, as well as manage special projects related to this unique initiative. Operating under the direction of StoryCorps’ Chief Program Officer and with input from the organization’s President, this position will oversee innovations in the StoryCorps model (such as recording remote interviews through teleconference), work to create and nurture national media and marketing partnerships, and help One Small Step grow into a national effort to bring the country closer together. This position is expected to work collaboratively with leadership and staff in the External Relations, Program, and Finance & Administration divisions at StoryCorps. The individual will also work with stakeholders from a wide variety of social, political, and organizational environments — from nonprofits to corporations / Fortune 500 companies, policy-makers and government officials on both sides of the aisle, progressive & conservative media outlets and think tanks, etc.
StoryCorps records, shares, and preserves stories from a diverse range of American voices — from our Griot Initiative to preserve stories of African Americans, to our Historias Initiative to collect the experiences of Latinos. We also seek to recruit and develop a staff whose diversity matches the diversity of the communities we serve, and we strongly encourage applications from people of color and the LGBTQ community.
The Director of Innovation & Special Projects for One Small Step may manage one staff person – a new position responsible for outreach and engagement with radio station partners for OSS. The Director of Innovation & Special Projects position is a temporary role, scheduled to end in December 2019.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage and oversee organizational innovations associated with the One Small Step Initiative (OSS)
- Work closely with Program and External Relations staff to establish media and marketing partnerships that extend StoryCorps’ reach beyond public media
- Assume primary responsibility for support of public radio stations that will engage OSS community partners and produce and air OSScontent
- Determine planning and activities that will scale One Small Step and enroll participants in a national drive to record using the StoryCorps App and otherwise
- Identify new funding relationships and coordinate with StoryCorps’ institutional development, corporate sponsorship, and major donor staff to support the acquisition of additional support for this project
- Support the preparation of reports (narrative, qualitative, and quantitative) for StoryCorps funders and internal organizational use
- Perform other duties to support the One Small Step initiative, as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications:
- Master’s degree, or commensurate work experience
- Minimum 7-10 years’ full-time work experience managing collaborative programs or projects, preferably in a nonprofit environment
- Demonstrated experience developing and executing outreach and program plans and managing complex projects
- Comfort and ability moving seamlessly between varied political, social, and organizational environments — e.g., from nonprofits and foundations to corporations/ Fortune 500 companies, to policy-makers and government officials, to progressive & conservative media outlets and think tanks, etc.
- Creative & analytical thinking, drive for results, and a demonstrated track record of creating and implementing new initiatives
- Excellent public presentation and speaking skills
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal, and written communication skills
- Strong organization skills, multi-tasking ability, and attention to detail
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel)
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in order to contribute to problem-solving activities within a growing, changing organization
- Cultural competence and the ability to work successfully with diverse groups of people
- Stature, gravitas, and confidence to gain credibility and respect of senior leadership and staff at all levels internally, as well as external partners and stakeholders
- Foreign language fluency (Spanish preferred)
- Experience providing staff supervision
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include your last name and the position title in the subject line: for example, “Jones – Director, Innovation & Special Projects” Include your cover letter and resume as attachments titled “YourNameLetter” and “YourNameResume.” In your cover letter, please tell us how you found out about this opportunity and whether you have applied for a position at StoryCorps in the past.
StoryCorps seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at StoryCorps are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.