The Director, Partnerships and Events will manage all efforts that place the WAMU brand directly in the community, in face-to face encounters with members, volunteers, donors and listeners. They will help lead the development of an overarching events and engagement strategy across the listening footprint through collaboration with internal departments, senior leadership and community partners, and be responsible for managing an Events budget and Coordinator. Additionally, the Director of Partnerships and Events will be responsible for developing partnerships across the community, American University, NPR and other industry and non-profit entities.
This position reports to the WAMU Sr. Director of Marketing and Engagement
This position will be responsible for supervision of one full time employee, the Coordinator of Special Events, and several part time employees
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Team Leader/Consultant A
- Commensurate with experience
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Journalism, Communications, Public Relations or related field
- 8+ years’ demonstrated experience in event strategy and implementation
- Demonstrated success developing sophisticated event strategies/plans followed by flawless execution
- Proven track record of leading and motivating both direct and indirect teams
- Results-driven behavior and entrepreneurial spirit that contributes to the long and short term goals of the department. Proven ability to motivate others, to set goals, and to develop strategies to achieve goals
- Accepts and incorporates new ideas to innovate work processes and procedures; quickly learns new ways and methods of doing things and handles stressful situations with a positive demeanor
- Strong relationship builder, inspires confidence; can set expectations and manage to them; effectively manages project timelines
- Flexible and adaptable to change. An accomplished juggler, who has the ability to keep multiple projects moving forward simultaneously, while anticipating the future
- Excellent oral communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills. Team player; ability to work collaboratively with others; good listener. Someone who has high energy/drive, a relentlessly positive attitude, and is results oriented
- Proven expertise as both a “thinker and a doer” with a keen ability to synchronize the two. Demonstrated ability to direct outside business partners and service providers
- Able to help define this role, as well as make significant contributions in the future
- Experience working with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers for this positon are contingent on the successful completion of a background check
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log into AsuccessfulU through the myAU portal. Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email AsuccessfulU@american.edu.
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.