Successfully develop and execute all aspects of a comprehensive corporate communications, promotion and media plan for the six WNED | WBFO stations, its organizational initiatives and local productions. Serve as spokesperson with local and national media. Supervise and motivate communications team, which includes graphic designers, digital magazine/media arts manager, photographer and content associate.
II. Essential Functions of the Position:
1. Develop and execute WNED | WBFO’s branding, positioning and image strategies. Through effective multi-media content create brand identity and distinctive image that accurately reflect the scope, quality, reach and impact of all WNED | WBFO stations.
2. Maintain and/or develop strong relationships with media, community leaders, public broadcasting peers and local organizations – in Western New York and Southern Ontario – in order to advance the mission and goals of WNED | WBFO.
3. Establish WNED | WBFO as a content provider within the public broadcasting industry and media. Oversee all advertising, promotion, graphics and publicity for ongoing television and radio programming and the WNED | WBFO local productions.
4. Oversee all aspects of the creation and final production of the organization’s digital member guide, WNED | WBFO Magazine.
5. Actively promote WNED | WBFO program content in a variety of formats, especially through new technologies and trends in social media advertising (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, station Apps, e-newsletters, e-blasts, web and etc.).
6. Work with various departments (i.e., Production, Development, TV Programming, Radio Programming, Underwriting, etc.) to promote WNED | WBFO and expand the organization’s audience profile and size.
7. Work with Development Division and other applicable staff on the creation of WNED | WBFO Annual Report and various “one sheet” descriptive materials about the organization as a whole (all stations) and individual local program productions.
8. Hire, train, supervise and motivate department staff. Manage department budget.
9. Seek out and host promotional screening events in order to promote our television and radio programs. These will be live studio events that are FREE to the general public. [NOTE: promotional event list must be coordinated with Fundraising Events Department in order to determine which are to be free and which are to be ticketed events.
III. Non-Essential Functions of the Position:
1. Coordinate WNED | WBFO presence at WNY and Southern Ontario regional festivals as needed (i.e. Taste of Buffalo, Allentown Art Festival, TIFF, etc.).
2. Manage booking and installation of exhibits that display in WNED | WBFO’s Horizon’s Gallery.
3. Miscellaneous duties as assigned.
IV. Required Qualifications & Experience:
1. Bachelor’s degree required; communications, journalism or broadcasting preferred.
2. Minimum of 5 years’ management experience is preferred, ideally in media and/or non-profit setting.
3. Deep interest in and commitment to lifelong learning.
4. Experience managing staff, budgets, timelines and strategic plans.
5. Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter of interest and current resume.
****Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
WNED | WBFO is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity.
Interested applicants may submit cover letter & resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org OR mail to:
Western New York Public Broadcasting Association
WNED | WBFO Human Resources Dept
PO Box 1263
Buffalo, NY 14240-1263