Make an impact on the community. Work with a team of smart, collaborative colleagues.
WFAE, the award-winning NPR station serving the Charlotte region, seeks a full-timer reporter. The successful candidate will be the lead reporter of our health care coverage but also will be expected to fulfill general assignment duties, including a daily news rotation.
We are looking for a journalist who can investigate difficult topics, ask tough questions and then translate that knowledge into easily understandable, well-produced audio and written reports. The reporter must be adept at filing spots, superspots and feature-length reports for local and national programming.
We are a small newsroom. As such, the reporter also will be trained over time to fill in as a backup for our newscaster and news magazines’ host and producer. The job requires someone who can work independently on tight deadlines but who also can work collaboratively on stories and projects. It also requires someone who can work well under pressure and maintain a clear sense of priorities in a demanding environment.
Occasional weekend and evening work is expected. This job is located in Charlotte, N.C.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of relevant work experience
- Strong news judgment
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Ability to produce content for digital and broadcast formats
- Ability to effectively use digital platforms for engagement, and content gathering and distribution
- Ability to be nimble in a fast-paced news environment
- Ability and willingness to work varied shifts
Send your resume and cover letter and supporting application materials such as audio, writing samples and links to email@example.com with Reporter in the subject line. Please include your salary requirements in your cover letter in order for us to consider your application.
WFAE is a community-licensed public radio station that has served the Charlotte region for more than 35 years. Our newsroom has won 19 regional Edward R. Murrow Awards in the last four years, two national Murrow Awards in the last three years and a slew of other honors for our broadcast and digital work. Our work is routinely carried on national radio programs such as “Morning Edition,” “All Things Considered” and “Marketplace.”
WFAE is a fast-paced news organization offering an exciting and creative work environment. We look for ambitious and dedicated people ready for challenges. We offer a generous benefit package and competitive compensation.
Our corporate values are important to us. At WFAE, we strive to:
- Exemplify the highest levels of integrity and public trust.
- Serve as a national and industry model of journalistic excellence.
- Be doggedly committed to telling great stories and serving the public.
- Succeed through teamwork, respect and collaboration.
- Include diverse people, voices, thoughts and perspectives at every level of our work.
- Value and reward creativity, curiosity and humor.
- Be bold and take risks in service to journalism and our mission.
- Enter every room with a spirit of generosity and gratitude.
WFAE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.