The Manager of Development Data Operations oversees and supports the use of fundraising data and the systems that store it at Wisconsin Public Television (WPT). This person serves as WPT’s lead user of a cloud-based constituent relationship management system (CRM), playing a key role in the success of fundraising activities that generate $10 million+ annually. The Manager trains and consults with staff on effective use of data in campaigns, including appeal segmentation and reporting, and stewards WPT’s data policies. Within the Membership team, the person in the position executes or oversees all input and output from the CRM, including file pulls for fundraising campaigns and reporting, transaction processing, overlays and data hygiene. This position also plays a significant role in on-air fundraising drives held 5-6 weeks per year.
The Manager of Development Data Operations reports to the Membership Director and supervises a team of two full-time staff. This position works out of Vilas Hall on the UW-Madison campus
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Fundraising Support & Operations
- Consults with staff on information use in fundraising activities such as direct mail, on-air membership drives, digital campaigns, major giving, planned giving, underwriting, grants and customer/member services.
- Supports staff in developing and implementing queries and reports. Reviews and recommends changes to current processes that are under-performing or are off-strategy.
- Manages data pulls for Membership Program appeals, acknowledgements, invitations and monthly program guide. Works with Membership Director to determine and implement campaign segmentation.
- Creates output files in a variety of formats for functions such as marketing analysis, data overlays, merge/purge and import/export into other applications (e.g. canvassing software, inbound call center systems).
- Leads the team responsible for daily Membership Program operations, including credit card and EFT processing, batch processing of receipts, payment adjustments and refunds, data hygiene, recurring donation retention efforts, and other projects.
- Engages with Member Services to resolve donor issues.
- Training and Communication
- Trains staff on use of the CRM and Membership Program business rules, both in groups and one-on-one.
- On an ongoing basis, identifies topics for review, provides continuing education and promotes training resources available to staff.
- Maintains and shares documentation of CRM and Membership Program procedures.
- Assists volunteer managers in training leadership volunteers on membership drive phone bank software and related systems, including proper data entry procedures. Partners with volunteer managers in identifying and addressing needs for review or retraining.
- Encourages and supports the thoughtful use of data and promotes a culture of careful data stewardship among staff and volunteers.
- Data Management
- Contributes to and communicates policies for data management by WPT’s fundraising staff, with attention to the integrity, security and privacy of donor information.
- Coordinates policies, procedures and business rules with colleagues at Wisconsin Public Radio as needed to support the shared use of the CRM.
- Determines and maintains source code logic for fundraising efforts.
- In consultation with Information Technology staff, oversees controls necessary to protect data, including monitoring PCI and NACHA compliance in Development operations.
- Monitors automated data transfers to/from eCRM, member video-on-demand platform, and other systems. Leads implementation of new transfers as needed.
- Executes quality control measures to ensure accuracy and integrity of data in CRM.
- Manages user permissions for WPT staff accessing the CRM.
- Assists staff in troubleshooting issues with the CRM and related systems.
- Develops and implements new tools and approaches to help streamline procedures.
- IT & Vendor Liaison
- Serves as WPT’s primary liaison with the vendors for the CRM and related data services regarding support, enhancements and troubleshooting. Engages the CRM vendor’s contracted services as needed for data management.
- Participates in information-sharing and user groups with other nonprofit and public media organizations to identify and promote best practices.
- Works with IT staff to coordinate technology needs for membership drive phone bank and ensure the compatibility and functionality of software used by staff and volunteers to take pledges.
- Supervises a team of two full-time staff. Provides timely work performance feedback, addresses issues as they arise, coaches, creates work plans, and provides a formal written performance evaluation annually.
- Sets and articulates goals each year for direct reports that are tied to the WPT strategic and/or operational plan.
- Seeks and promotes professional development opportunities for self and direct reports that foster continual growth and achieve organizational strategic goals.
- Effectively engages diverse perspectives and experiences in all workplace interactions and demonstrates respect for others in all workplace relationships.
- Complies with WPT Ethical guidelines https://wpt4.org/about-wpt/
- Other duties as assigned.
DEGREE AND AREA OF SPECIALIZATION
Bachelor’s degree preferred.
MINIMUM YEARS AND TYPE OF RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
- 2 years’ experience managing data for revenue-generating activities, ideally in a nonprofit fundraising or marketing role.
- Strong knowledge of and experience with databases.
- Knowledge of SQL for reporting and analysis.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing.
- Emotional intelligence to lead others and resolve issues constructively.
- Availability to work long hours during membership drives held 5-6 weeks per year, including scheduled evening and weekend shifts.
- Physical ability to sit or stand at a desk and use a computer, keyboard and mouse for several hours at a time.
NOT REQUIRED BUT DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Direct experience with one or more nonprofit CRMs.
- Professional experience in fundraising, ideally in the areas of annual giving and/or membership.
- Experience planning, directing and evaluating the work of others.
- Experience with Tableau or other business intelligence applications.
- Experience developing and presenting material for training/educational purposes.
We expect to pay in the high 50s to low 60s. Actual pay will depend on experience and qualifications.
HOW TO APPLY:
Apply online at https://jobs.hr.wisc.edu by 8/13. The job number is 99756. All of the following must be received for your application to be complete: 1) Resume; 2) A cover letter describing how your experience relates to the job duties and minimum and desirable qualifications; 3) At least three professional references including e-mail. At least one must be a supervisory reference
Questions? Contact: Betsy Nelson, Wisconsin Public Television, 821 University Avenue, Madison, WI, 53706;
apply online at https://jobs.wisc.edu. This is job #99756.