WJCT News is searching for a dynamic, multi-platform reporter responsible for covering general news in Northeast Florida. The ideal person is a dogged and imaginative public interest journalist with a keen sense of how to shape content to serve different audiences — on air via spot news, feature stories, and occasional live reports; on the web; and on social media.
The reporter will create digital content that is compelling, shareable, and visually impactful while contributing well-produced and engaging radio stories.
- Rock solid journalistic ethics;
- At least 2 to 5 years reporting news for print, web, radio, or TV;
- Impeccable research, writing and reporting skills, including requesting public records;
- Ability to conduct and record interviews in studio and on location;
- Media agility, or the ability to shift comfortably between writing radio scripts and online news articles;
- Experience publishing with content management systems (ideally WordPress);
- Ability to work collaboratively with other reporters, editors, and producers;
- Willingness to try new storytelling methods and adapt to changing platforms and audience needs;
- Self-directed, can work unsupervised, on deadline;
- Ability to pitch WJCT to the community on air during fundraising pledge drives.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field;
- Experience building a reporting beat and developing topical expertise;
- Demonstrated abilities to break news and uncover wrongdoing;
- Mastery of audio gathering, editing, mixing, and vocal performance;
- Experience with multimedia production, including still and video photography;
- Ability to write “sticky” headlines;
- Knowledge of Northeast Florida’s politics and major issues;
- Familiarity with the public radio style of reporting and presentation;
- Live on-air hosting experience a plus.
About WJCT Inc.
WJCT, located in Jacksonville, Florida is a dual licensed community service organization, which has been serving the First Coast of Florida since 1958. Using our platforms of on-air, online, and outreach we serve our communities with universally accessible content and resources for citizens to learn, share and grow. WJCT content genres include news and public affairs, arts and culture, history and science, community outreach, children's educational programming, and local impact and outreach. WJCT operates 5 unique TV channels, 4 radio channels, and multiple digital platforms. Its principal broadcast coverage area is northeast Florida and southeast Georgia.
About Jacksonville, Florida
Jacksonville a seaport city and county seat for Duval County is the largest city in area in the continental United States with a metropolitan population of 1.6 million. It is the 40th largest city in the U.S., fourth largest in the state of Florida. The city, situated on the banks of the beautiful St. Johns River in the First Coast region of North Florida enjoys a mild climate, reasonable cost of living and high quality of life. One of Jacksonville’s many natural assets is it's one of the largest urban park systems in the country and has miles of beaches and waterways. From a major symphony and museums to a sports and entertainment complex downtown which hosts an array of special events this sports-loving city is home to the NFL’s Jacksonville Jaguars, hosted a Super Bowl in 2005, and is in close proximity to major colleges and universities. Nearby, Ponte Vedra is home to the PGA which hosts the annual Tournament Players Championship (TPC) and both public and private golf courses abound in the area.
Growing populations, a strong economy, diverse cultural and recreational opportunities, and abundant natural resources, Jacksonville, continues to distinguish itself as a place where there is truly something for everyone. Want another reason to live in paradise? Florida also has no state income tax!
WJCT is a drug-free workplace which prides itself on being an equal access and equal opportunity employer M/F/V/D.
online: email@example.com; mail: WJCT HR 100 Festival Park Avenue Jacksonville, Florida 32202 Fax: 904-358-6385