WMHT Director of Technology
The Organization: WMHT
WMHT Educational Telecommunications is multichannel public communications organization that reaches beyond the traditional broadcasting model to act as a leader by convening arts, culture, learning, and civic interests. Located in New York’s Capital Region, WMHT serves diverse communities from the Mid-Hudson Valley to the Berkshires including portions of Vermont and Connecticut, reaching an area of more than one million people. WMHT provides entertainment, enrichment, and engagement through television, radio, digital media, and educational services including WMHT-DT (17.1), WMHT-Create (17.2), WMHT-World (17.3), WMHT PBS Kids (17.4), WMHT-FM 89.1 & WRHV-FM 88.7 (classical public radio); and EXIT 97.7 and 106.1 WEXT (AAA public radio). WMHT also operates RISE, a radio reading service for the blind and print disabled.
WMHT services are focused on three key areas of community need: Civic and Public Affairs, Arts and Culture and Children and Education.
“We place community at the center of our work” is the beginning of WMHT’s value statement ensuring that all projects and services developed by WMHT place community engagement at the forefront. That engagement takes place in a variety of formats, both digital and in-person, encouraging all audiences to share their stories and point-of-view through venues both physical and virtual.
All of this work takes place in a unique home that is a mixture of vibrant, affordable urban centers surrounded by extraordinary and accessible natural beauty, all located within a short distance of New York City and Boston. These assets have created a distinctive cultural community that has attracted a diverse and growing cadre of freelance creative professionals whose presence has enhanced the station’s ability to provide a robust and vital set of services to its community.
The Director of Technology is WMHT’s top technology executive responsible for developing and implementing multi-platform digital technology solutions for creation and distribution of WMHT content across current and emerging platforms. The mandate for this Director is to ensure that WMHT broadcast engineering, production, and digital operational requirements are fulfilled to include IT network integrity, production, communications, and operations systems, broadcast distribution integrity, and internet/social media distribution integrity. Most important is the ability to collaborate and support management to align technology and business objectives with the technology and interests of WMHT audiences and members.
The Director of Technology (DoT) will work closely with the President and leadership team in providing strategic and tactical leadership for the technology needs of WMHT. The DoT oversees broadcast operations, information technology, engineering functions, broadcast transmission/distribution services, a modern broadcast center with two television studios and three radio studios, and a suite of digital products and delivery systems. The DoT is responsible for planning, developing, and maintaining the station’s technical infrastructure. He/she works closely with the Production Manager and the Chief Content Officer in support of Production personnel.
Ideal candidates will feel a connection with WMHT’s public service mission, have an interest in understanding media consumption and technology use in the WMHT service area, and will be experienced across a range of technology systems and engineering functions including broadcast production and distribution.
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
- BA, BS or BSEE or equivalent professional experience.
- At least 10 years of progressive work experience in broadcast/digital media with strong knowledge of architectures, trends and emerging technologies.
- Currently in a technology and operations leadership role with experience with digital audio/video formats and technologies for mobile and emerging platforms. Experience working within mid-sized organization preferred.
- Capable of leading and inspiring diverse groups of engineers to accomplish complex projects.
- Demonstrated ability to lead complex projects from start to finish. PMP certification a plus.
- Knowledge of FCC rules and regulations for licensed broadcast facilities.
- Proven experience in managing a technology and operations function from a financial and managerial point of view.
- Prior experience managing key vendor relationships and leading formal vendor selection processes including competitive bidding and RFPs through contract negotiation.
- Ability to implement excellent customer service based processes.
- Experience in enterprise level technology construction or renovation projects is desirable.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to explain technical concepts to stakeholders of varying technical knowledge.
- Desire to be part of a mission-driven organization that serves New York’s Capital Region community.
Personal Characteristics Desired:
- A pragmatic, collaborative, results oriented leader with highly developed relationship building skills; adept as an influencer and consensus builder.
- An unquestioned reputation for integrity and ethics; a strong character that will quickly gain the trust of others.
- Creative, versatile, intuitive, and driven; mission oriented.
If Interested and Qualified, please contact:
Talent Acquisition Specialist
Office: (410) 528-8400 ext. 109