WOSU Public Media, a licensee of The Ohio State University, seeks a Senior Director of Marketing and Communications responsible for developing and implementing the marketing vision and strategy for growing audience, advancing financial support and building a positive image and awareness of WOSU Public Media, serving over two million citizens in central Ohio.
Activities include external marketing to increase awareness and support for WOSU distribution channels, events, and activities; implementing effective public relations and promotional strategies; developing and executing special events; collaborating internally to build a strategic marketing/communications plan; developing and implementing a digital marketing strategy; and serving as WOSU’s brand manager.
Among the specific duties:
• Optimize awareness and audience of WOSU programming and services provided by 89.7 NPR News, Classical 101, WOSU-PBS television, WOSU Passport, WOSU Classroom, podcasts, web streams, mobile app, and other digital properties.
• Develop and implement institutional messaging to elevate WOSU’s community status
• Develop and implement messaging to build membership, corporate, foundation, major giving and other support
• With the completion of a new WOSU headquarters in 2020, energize the building’s internal and external experience to generate excitement and interest
• Develop and implement an institutional digital marketing strategy
• Design and implement effective public relations and promotional strategies
• Oversee messaging for consistency in content and branding on-air, in print, and through digital and social media distribution
• Build local collaborations for joint marketing and special project initiatives
• Identify and track appropriate criteria to measure success
• Supervise a professional staff, students, volunteers and associated vendors involved with the division’s activities; select, hire, train, coach, and assure positive performance and morale
• Maintain the highest integrity in all divisional efforts consistent with industry standards and those outlined in the WOSU Code of Editorial Integrity
• Develop and manage an annual budget appropriate to the annual goals of the division
• Serve as the organization’s spokesperson as needed; serve as a member of the WOSU Public Media executive leadership team
If interested you MUST APPLY ONLINE to the Ohio State University job site at:
WOSU will accept applications through December 16, 2018.
• Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business or other discipline related to the marketing or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
• At least seven years of professional experience in the field including supervisory experience.
• Progressively responsible management experience in marketing, communications, nonprofit management, and/or fundraising.
• Must have three years experience creating and implementing integrated marketing communications plans.
• Must have a thorough understanding of digital marketing. Excellent project management and presentation skills and a passion for the mission and goals of public media.
• Advanced degree or training in marketing, communications, or related area.
• The successful candidate will show an ability to be creative and nimble in an ever changing marketing environment, able to work productively in a highly collaborative workplace, be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, and be deadline driven.
• Demonstrated skill in managing and motivating creative professionals, building an effective team and a positive work environment.
• Experience in public media or other non-profit management a plus.
Resumes and cover letter MUST be submitted online to the following: