We are seeking an experienced Broadcast Engineer with excellent interpersonal skills and a great attitude toward your work and your co-workers. WUSF Public Media offers a great work environment and has excellent benefits.
The successful applicant will have experience in all fields of broadcast engineering including transmitter maintenance and repair, studio maintenance, remote broadcasting and broadcast automation. Experience in large scale projects such as transmitter installs and studio buildouts is a plus. This is a 24/7 on-call position.
WUSF Public Media is a division of the University Communications and Marketing department consisting of three strategic business units; WUSF 89.7, WSMR and IntellisMedia. WUSF Public Media serves the university by providing the community with news, information and entertainment programming that informs and enriches their daily lives and is engaged in educational work in the community. WUSF Public Media provides students with learning and personal growth opportunities through formal classes and internships and informal hands-on experiences.
Primary collaborator with other WUSF and USF staff in planning events and activities including internal and external meetings. Coordinates events with donors, university and community leaders and other people integral to the success of WUSF Public Media.
Oversee equipment related to radio broadcasting systems and conduct maintenance and repair duties when necessary. Manage FM Transmissions and Transmitter/Antenna equipment. Manage and maintain Databases for News and other Radio programming applications that require an in-depth knowledge of current Information Technology. Provide Engineering and Technical support for live Radio events and productions. Assist with other broadcast related areas as assigned. This position requires a person with the acumen to work at various off-campus locations independent of direct supervision. This position is classified as essential personnel and as such is on-call 24/7.
- Oversee all equipment as it relates to the radio broadcasting system. Analyze, troubleshoot and solve technical problems. Maintain and repair towers, transmission equipment and facilities, studio operations and Core Engineering and Operations for WUSF TV, WUSF FM and WSMR FM. Identify and resolve issues independently.
- Recognize and define vulnerabilities of off-premise facilities for radio transmission. Maintain the equipment and infrastructure for operational and engineering equipment; make sure that items are ready and in working order when needed; this can be achieved through an active preventative maintenance program as well as effecting repairs when necessary and recommending acquisitions when equipment is nearing the end of their usable life.
- Primary contact for broadcast specific software, maintenance, technical and operational services and advanced configurations for News and Programming.
- Support of live events - live troubleshooting and resolution of issues.
- Serves as a member of the Pledge Team for Radio Pledge Drives including support in the areas of: Engineering, Operations and Technology.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position requires a Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering with 3 years of engineering experience or 5-7 years of experience as a Chief Engineer and/or Operations Manager to include radio live broadcasts, satellite uplink and downlink, radio automation(preferably NexGen), tower projects to include build-out and maintenance and studio management and maintenance.
Demonstrated experience in the following:
- High power RF
- Remote control systems
- Tall tower lighting/maintenance (no tower climbing required)
- Microwave systems
- Satellite systems
- Audio over IP networking
- IT acumen
- FCC license and or SBE Senior Broadcast Engineer certification are recommended.
Special Skills/Licenses/Training/Certifications Necessary:
- Audio consoles
- High Power FM Transmitters
- FM antennas and transmission line
- Radio Automation software
- IP codecs
- Satellite receivers
- Microwave transmitters and receivers
- Audio Processors and Stereo Generators
- EAS encoder/decoders
Current equipment and software being used:
- Logitek and Wheatstone audio consoles
- BE Transmitters
- Nautel Transmitters
- Nexgen Automation
- Intraplex IP link
- International Datacasting satellite receivers
- Intraplex HD link
- Orban Optimod
- Comrex IP CODEC
Apply: This position is subject to a Level 1 criminal background check.
To apply for any position, you must first visit USF's employment website at: https://www.usf.edu/work-at-usf/careers/index.aspx. Once there, please follow the instructions and click on the "Access Careers @ USF" under "Find a Job at USF." Once there, under Keywords, please type WUSF. A list of open positions will appear and click on the APPLY button of the position you are interested in. Only online applications are accepted for this position.