Journalists at WUWM identify, report, edit and produce a wide range of stories for all WUWM programs and digital platforms. The
Von Fellowship is designed to give recently graduated journalism students the opportunity to work in a professional news
environment, preparing stories for broadcast and digital platforms.
Specific duties include:
-Research, gather, write, edit and produce stories and interviews for broadcast and digital platforms.
-Respond to, and report on, other news stories as assigned.
-Participate in station activities including fund drives and community events.
This position requires the ability to work weekdays, evenings, and occasional weekends as well as a valid driver’s license and personal means of transportation in order to conduct off-site reporting and interviews.
- A bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related by date of hire or within the last three years within the date of hire.
- Demonstrated non-professional interest or experience in journalism (such as in a college environment or via internships).
- Demonstrated ability to produce in-depth news reports and interviews for broadcast.
- Able to use broadcast digital recording and editing equipment
- Possesses an announcing style that fits with WUWM and NPR’s on-air sound
Applicants will be expected to provide:
•A cover letter explaining (a) how you meet all of the required qualifications (b) which preferred requirements you meet, © why you are the ideal candidate and (d) why you are interested in this job.
•Samples of your previous work in the field of journalism (i.e., audio or video from school sponsored internships). Links of audio/video samples can be included in your application materials or files can be emailed to Ann Piatt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
•Audio demonstrating your announcing style.
Links of audio samples can be included in your application materials or files can be emailed to Ann Piatt at email@example.com.
•Names and contact information for three references and/or letters of recommendation from faculty members or previous employers (uploaded as “Other Document 1”).
This is a continuous recruitment. Review of applications will begin on July 1, 2019. Applications received after June 30, 2019 may not receive consideration.
Apply at: https://jobs.uwm.edu/postings/28950