Director of Operations and Technology
Want to help facilitate the broadcasts of a unique community radio station? Have a passion for technology and troubleshooting? Care deeply about informing and serving the public? We are looking for someone who not only keeps the trains running on time, but has the know-how to make them run faster and more efficiently.
As the Director of Operations and Technology, you would be responsible for all technical and broadcast equipment at a federally-licensed, community-operated radio station.
This is a full-time job. You will work closely with our Station Manager in order to ensure IT, broadcast, and general security of WXPR assets. You’ll also be helping support a great local community resource.
WXPR is an independent, community-licensed public radio station founded in 1983 and operated by White Pine Community Broadcasting, Inc. From studios at 28 North Stevens Street in downtown Rhinelander, Wisconsin, WXPR can be heard at 91.7fm in a 70 mile radius of Rhinelander, with extended service to Ironwood, Michigan via translator at 100.9fm, and through a shared transmitter in Wausau, Wisconsin at 91.9fm WXPW. Scores of volunteer on-air hosts produce and deliver 70 hours of unique music programming per week. In addition, WXPR is an NPR affiliate that airs national news and produces its own local news.
- Manage ENCO automation, including daily and specialty programming playlist templates
- Handle weekly program ingestion, including the Public Radio Satellite System (PRSS)
- Insure in-house networking security and maintain all proper network documentation
- Keep up to date software and anti-virus on computer stations and make appropriate backups
- Schedule / perform routine computer / broadcast equipment maintenance at the station
- Coordinate and work with contract engineers on our transmission technology
- Complete preventative maintenance at transmitter and studio sites
- Maintain quarterly online Public File and File quarterly reports for SoundExchange and BMI reporting
- Serve as FCC Chief Operator responsible for Emergency Alert System operations and official FCC logs
- Produce promotional announcements for station programming
- Manage all other technical aspects at WXPR, including our digital stream, remote broadcasting equipment and music library software.
- Keep an eye on emerging technologies that might benefit the station
- Strong IT knowledge through vocational / technical training or appropriate work experience
- Ability to learn complex digital systems
- Self-motivated, organized, good time-management skills, and ability to perform assigned duties with little supervision
- Demonstrated ability to work through difficult and stressful situations
- Passion for figuring out how things work and troubleshooting problems
- Ability to effectively identify problems as they occur before escalating
Bonus Points for Experience With:
- Wheatstone Audio
- IP Audio Codecs
- ENCO Automation systems
- Broadcast equipment / systems in general
- Audio editing and mixing software
- Paid Holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
- Retirement plan
- Health, Life, and Disability Insurance
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you! Please send a cover letter and resume by to WXPR General Manager Jessie Dick: email@example.com. Please detail how you heard about the job. Pay will be commensurate with experience. The position will remain open until filled.
WXPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, religion, sex, or age.
Jessie Dick, General Manager
28N Stevens St
Rhinelander, WI 54501