KCPW 88.3FM, a public radio station serving the greater Salt Lake Valley, is seeking a part-time Producer/ Fill-in News Host to join our supportive and team-oriented working environment, and help advance KCPW’s public service mission. The ideal candidate will have a passion for local issues and nonfiction storytelling, a strong on-air presence, be comfortable making creative decisions, and have academic or professional experience in radio production.
On-air since 1992, and broadcasting from the Denkers Studio on Library Square in Salt Lake City, KCPW Public Radio 88.3 FM is the Salt Lake Valley’s first, 24-hour, news and information outlet providing listeners with a complete spectrum of thought-provoking, local, national, and international, public radio programming. KCPW is a space on the local radio dial that encourages engagement, satisfies curiosity, and builds community.
The selected candidate will:
- Have lead responsibility for the production of one or more of KCPW’s local productions, coordinating and planning weekly execution
- Research and schedule guests and assist in show scripting
- Gather and edit audio
- Write, record, and edit show promos
- Create and post descriptions/audio of local show to website
- Create social media postings, engage with KCPW followers online
- Serve as a back-up on-air host which includes organizing, creating, and reading live, local news breaks as well as playing national programming
- Help with on-air pitching and other fundraising during KCPW’s three annual pledge drives
- Assist with other projects as needed
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Coursework completed in Communication, Journalism, or a related field of study or equivalent experience in the field of radio production, reporting, or digital media production
- Experience with digital audio editing software (preferably Adobe Audition)
- Practice with audio sound boards, microphones, digital audio recorders and related gear
- Facility in a live, on-air radio environment
- Written and oral command of the English language
- Excellent ability to self-prioritize and manage multiple projects
- Excellent organizational ability with strong attention to details
- A thorough grasp of the Utah news environment and strong news judgment
- The ability to work on deadline and under pressure
- Ability to work a varied schedule including the occasional evening or weekend
- Passion for the mission of public radio
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply, send a resume, cover letter, professional references, and three samples of relevant work (audio preferred for at least one) to Jesse Ellis at firstname.lastname@example.org.