Fiscal Year 2015 Radio Grant Calculation Information

Fiscal Year 2015

Expenditure period: 10/1/2014 - 9/30/2016

The following is updated information regarding grant calculations for the Fiscal Year (FY) 2015 Radio Community Service Grants (CSG).

Update on the Appropriation

On October 1, 2014, CPB received an FY 2015 appropriation of $444.753 million from the U.S. Department of Treasury. While there is a possibility of a further rescission to the next appropriations measure funding federal government operations in FY 2015, CPB has determined that it will operate at the budget level of $445 million until further notice.

Grant Payment

In accordance with the CPB Board’s resolution of September 2012, and reaffirmed at the June 2014 Board meeting, to help stations manage the uncertainty of the budget process, CPB will once again provide each grantee with 70 percent of its annual CSG calculated on the $445 million amount in its first payment. The second payment will consist of the remaining 30 percent, minus the amount necessary to reconcile each grantee's payment to the revised final FY 2015 appropriation amount.

Important Note: As stated on each grantee's FY 2015 CSG Agreement, the grant offer is contingent upon CPB's receipt of its authorized appropriation for FY 2015 and is subject to decreases.

Incentive Rate of Return

The final Incentive Rate of Return (IRR), applicable to CSG Levels C and D, is .0615403313. Fluctuation in IRR from year to year is a function of total radio system non-Federal financial support (NFFS) and the CPB appropriation. Please note there is a two-year lag between station financial data used for CSGs and the CPB fiscal year.

FY 2015 Unrestricted Percentage: 73.63%

FY 2015 Restricted Percentage: 26.37%*

*All radio CSG recipients are required to spend 26.37 percent of the FY 2015 grant on national program production and acquisition. These funds must be used exclusively for the acquisition, production, promotion and distribution of national programming of high quality, diversity, creativity, excellence and innovation, with strict adherence to objectivity and balance in all programs or series of programs of a controversial nature.

FY 2015 Base Grant Amounts (based on current budget level):

  • Level A: $100,000
  • Level B: $72,313
  • Level C: $72,313
  • Level D: $57,850

CSG Formulas

FY 2015 Radio CSG Formulas

Minority Audience Service Station Support

The information below provides a basic overview of Minority Audience Service Station and Rural Audience Service Station qualification. More information is available in the Radio CSG General Provisions.

A grantee seeking Minority Audience Service Station qualification is based on the grantee meeting at least one of the criteria below.

  1. A measured minority audience composition (cume) greater than 40 percent averaged over the previous three consecutive measured quarters; or
  2. The station is licensed to a designated Historically Black College or University; or
  3. The station is licensed to a Native American Tribe, a consortium of Tribes, or an entity controlled by a Tribe, or is licensed to a community within recognized Tribal Lands and provides a coverage area of which a substantial portion includes Tribal Lands.

Rural Audience Service Station Support

A grantee seeking Rural Audience Service Station qualification must have a coverage area population density equal to or less than 40 people per square kilometer.

Contact CPB

All questions about this information should be directed to the Office of Grants Administration at Remember to always identify your station call letters and/or grantee ID number so that we can respond quickly to your inquiry.