Local public broadcasting stations serve their communities in multiple ways, including through the delivery of acquired and locally produced content via broadcast. As the equipment used to produce and distribute this content continues to age, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting desires to better understand the current state of both public television and radio equipment, and how stations plan for and fund future refresh or replacement needs.
CPB seeks the services of a consultant(s) (“Consultant”) to evaluate local stations’ current capacities to continue to best serve their local audiences through broadcast by:
- Surveying public media station general managers and chief engineering staff to determine the:
- state of the current production and broadcast distribution equipment, including, but not limited to: production and studio equipment, master control equipment and transmission equipment; and
- financial plans to sustain current equipment and invest in future production and broadcast distribution equipment – both replacement and upgrades as technology evolves.
- Analyzing collected data and developing a comprehensive report of stations’ equipment and financial capabilities;
- Prioritizing equipment replacement and related station financial needs using factors such as immediacy of the need for replacement (e.g. end of life/failing equipment), station’s ability to finance the replacement, etc.; and
- Identifying resource gaps that may impede future sustainability in an evolving media environment and outlining possible solutions for bridging them, grouping and comparing findings among various station cohorts.
The results of this work will inform CPB’s decision-making as we work to assist stations, and the system as a whole, keep up with technological changes and develop future operating models.
The initial term of the agreement is expected to begin on or before June 15, 2016 and will be completed by December 31, 2016. The agreement will be renewable at CPB’s discretion for an additional 6 month term, during which the Consultant would provide consulting services related to the project on an as-needed basis.