Alternative Sources of Funding for Public Broadcasting Stations
This CPB report explores possible alternatives to the federal appropriation and provides findings concerning the severe impact of the loss of the federal appropriation on the public broadcasting system. It was submitted to the House and Senate Committees on Appropriations in June 2012.
CPB Responses to OIG Reports
Below are CPB’s responses to the Inspector General’s audits of recipients of CPB funds, including public broadcasting stations and other entities.
- Licensee Compliance with Communications Act PDF 78KB
- Evaluation of CPB Procurement PDF 234KB
- KTCA-TV Twin Cities Public Television PDF 153 KB
- KCTS 9 Cascade Public Media PDF 48 KB
- KET-TV Kentucky Authority for Educational Television, Inc. PDF 48 KB
- KRMA-TV KUVO-FM Rocky Mountain PDF 303 KB
- WDCB-FM College of Dupage PDF 255 KB
- WCVE-TV-FM Commonwealth Public Broadcasting Corporation PDF 291KB
- Public Media Platform, Inc. PDF 1.6 MB
- KCND-FM Prairie Public Broadcasting System, Inc. PDF 687KB
- KEDT-FM South Texas Public Broadcasting System, Inc. PDF 687KB
- WBJC-FM Baltimore City Community College PDF 648KB
- WFHB-FM Bloomington Community Radio, Inc. PDF 715KB
- WLCH-FM Spanish American Civic Association for Equality, Inc. PDF 637KB
- WMKY-FM Morehead State University PDF 637KB
- WMNF-FM Nathan B. Stubblefield Foundation PDF 955KB
- WOUB Center for Public Media PDF 616KB
- WRVS-FM Elizabeth City State University PDF 616KB
- WUOT-FM University of Tennessee PDF 483KB
- CPB Issues PDF 483KB
- KETC-TV St. Louis Regional Public Media, Inc. PDF 454KB
- Latino Public Broadcasting PDF 7.7MB
- WMPG-FM University of Maine System PDF 558KB
Evaluation of the CPB-funded National Minority Consortia
This report is an evaluation by Coats2Coats to review the operations, grant making and other public media activities of the five organizations collectively known as the national minority consortia (NMC) and recommendations going forward.
In June 2015, Cognizant Business Consulting evaluated interconnection plans for public television, including the financial, business, operational and technical aspects of all proposed plans and commercial options for future delivery of interconnection services to the public broadcasting system.
Spectrum Auction and Repack
These May 2017 reports detail the potential impact of repacking on public radio and television stations following the FCC’s spectrum auction.
- Potential Impacts to Public Radio Transmission Facilities From TV Band Repacking (Updated) PDF 228KB
- Potential Impacts to Public Television Transmission Facilities From Post-Auction TV Band RepackingPDF 229KB
In July 2014, CPB presented a white paper to provide relevant information to aid public media licensees and their governing boards who had to decide whether to participate in the spectrum incentive auction.
System Technology Assessment
In 2017, Eagle Hill Consulting conducted a system-wide survey to assess public radio and television stations’ production and distribution equipment and how stations deliver on their mission in a new digital environment using technology. The analysis includes recommendations to CPB for next steps toward cost and operational efficiencies.
Your Feedback Reports
CPB maintains a toll-free, 24-hour telephone line (1-800-272-2190), an online contact form, and accepts letters mailed directly. All comments on programming are shared with the CPB Board and relevant staff. They can also be viewed here.