Join the award winning WABE news team in a Top Ten Market. We are looking for a General Assignment Reporter with solid experience producing NPR style news spots and feature stories, conducting interviews, generating news ideas and an ability to respond to news emergencies. As General Assignment reporter, the position requires extensive daily travel around the Atlanta region.
Shifts are assigned by the Managing Editor and are subject to change based on needs of the station.
- Works under the direction of an editor to research, write, and produce local content for on-air and digital platforms.
- Serves as WABE reporter for local and national news programs, presenting local news and feature reports in the public radio style.
- Works in cooperation with the news department to compile stories and live, on-air presentation of local content for news programs. This will be a combination of in-studio production, interviewing (some live), coverage of special news assignments as directed, working with technical equipment related to broadcasting.
- Serves on behalf of the station as a spokesperson and or representative at assigned station events or other community related forums.
- Create platform agnostic content.
- Works on deadlines.
- Other duties as assigned by Station Management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- BA Degree and minimum of three years of applicable experience.
- Demonstrated experience and proven track record in gathering news, anchoring/reporting, writing scripts as well as interviewing and production.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and producing both short and long form news content (Ability to use desktop editing, studio production equipment, and reporter field kit).
Necessary Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to handle a variety of activities, work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Contributes to fundraising and community engagement activities as directed by management.
- Exceptional organizational, interpersonal and communication skills are a must in this position.
- Digital reporting experience is preferred.
Team Work Orientation
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required (up to 5 lbs.), filing documents or store materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
For the most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment. Exposure to outside elements during course of work to be expected to perform essential functions.